…I posted about it being a year since Hellx posted about it being a year since the last post. See y’all next May 28!► Be First to Comment |
…about it being one year since the last Norlos post.► Be First to Comment |
From the AP:
A Miami police officer on Saturday fatally shot a naked man who was chewing on the face of another man on a downtown causeway off-ramp, police and witnesses said…
The newspaper quoted witnesses as saying that the officer ordered the naked man to back away, and when he ignored the demand, the officer shot him. Witnesses said that the naked man continued his attack after being shot once, and the officer shot him several more times.
After the attack, the victim was transported to the hospital with critical injuries. If I’ve learned anything from zombie movies, it’s that this dude is also going to turn into a zombie next and all hell is going to break loose.► Be First to Comment |
In an important public service, the Atlantic explains what happens to all of the pigeons that die every day in cities across the world and includes an awesome video of a turtle eating a pigeon.► Be First to Comment |
Driving home on Friday, Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum came on the radio. I cranked it up, since it is an awesome driving song. Since it was just after a rain storm, I realized that between the wet road, heavy traffic, tire spray, and glare from the sun on pavement, it was kind of a dangerous commute. Some things occurred to me:
1. If I was going to die in an auto crash, this would be an awesome song to go out on.
2. That’s a little over-dramatic, don’t you think?
3. If I was watching a movie of a guy driving and this song was playing and then he died, I would say, “man, that was really pretty lame”
4. Do you suppose there is some counter-acting force, a spirit in the sky, if you will, that might protect me from dying in a fiery auto crash while listening to this song, not because it’s about Jesus, but because that would just be too cheesy?
About that time, the song ended. But meanwhile, I was also listening to the lyrics. Apparently my irony-meter is tuned up a little better than it used to be, because it never occurred to me before that this might have not been entirely a song of praise, but rather a little dig at religion:
“Never been a sinner
I never sinned
I got a friend in Jesus
So you know that when I die
He’s gonna set me up with The spirit in the sky”
Seems kind of obvious now, though. And actually makes the song even more awesome. Especially since the guy that wrote it is Jewish.
In perhaps an unrelated matter, I pose the following question to the group that’s been bothering me lately:Comments (1) |
“No one we went to as an investor said, ‘Oh, your dad is Mitt Romney, I’m going to give you $10 million”► Posted by hellx | May 1, 2012
1) Regarding the photographs that US soldiers took with dead Afghan insurgents, a US veteran of Afghanistan says that it’s just something that soldiers do. I’m inclined to agree, since even the greatest generation did shit like that.
2) When the Swedish Minister of Culture cut into a cake shaped like a racist caricature of a black woman, it wasn’t an “OMG! what were those Swedes thinking?” moment but a bit of brilliant social commentary through performance art.► Comments (6) |